Saturday, August 24, 2013

Robin's Nest by Melissa Stevens - Spotlight & Review

 
Robin's Nest
by Melissa Stevens
 
 
Blurb:

After a car accident puts her in a coma, Samantha awakens to find her best friend, Robin, never left her side.  While she recovers, Sam realizes there’s more between them than just friendship, but she’s afraid. What if it doesn’t work out between them, and it ruins their friendship.

Sam’s brush with death gives her a renewed understanding of how short life really is. Deciding the possible benefits are worth the risk, she faces the challenges from her over-protective family head on and leaps into life with both feet. When more challenges come their way, can Sam and Robin handle them together?  

 

Excerpt:

 

As I drew closer, I saw Robin push himself off the side of the truck and stand to his full height of 6'1". He opened his pickup door and reached for something inside. I pulled the Jeep off the highway, and watched as he locked and closed the door then crossed the highway and rounded the Jeep to the passenger side. Robin isn't a particularly large guy. Yeah, he's tall, but he's lean, like the basketball player he'd been in high school. I leaned across the seat and lifted the lock on the door to let him in.



"So, what's the problem this time?" I asked as he climbed inside and closed the door.

"Damned rotor again," he replied, tossing his baseball cap with his keys inside onto the dash. He ran his hand through his shaggy blond hair. It stayed back for maybe three seconds before falling on either side of his face again, framing his deep green eyes. 

I waited while he buckled his seatbelt, then checked for cars before pulling back onto the highway. Only going far enough to make a U-turn without hitting his truck, before heading back into town.

"I thought you kept an extra one in the glove box for when this happens?" I asked.

"I do, but I used my last one a couple of months ago and I forgot to get more on my next trip to Safford, then I just spaced it." He ran his hand through his hair again, only to have it fall right back where it started. "Of course, it was about time for Murphy's Law to smack me upside the head again, so here we are."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Are you about ready to give up on that antique or are you gonna buy another case of rotors for it?" Ribbing Robin about his stubbornly keeping the old pickup, despite its oddities, was an old habit between the two of us. Though we dig at each other and bicker once in a while, I don't think we've had more than two or three real fights in our entire friendship.

"So it eats rotors. So what? They're cheap. The frame, body, and motor are all in good condition. Why junk a good machine for one small, and relatively inexpensive, inconvenience?" He easily fell right back into the old game.

"It's broken down, and left you stranded along the side of the road, how many times now?"

"A few," he admitted, "but I can usually repair the problem in less than fifteen minutes and be back on my way. It's my own fault I ended up stranded tonight. Besides, if you'd been busy I would have found someone else, or eventually, someone would have come along and given me a ride into town."

He's right, someone would have come along. It was barely eight o'clock, and not quite dark yet. However, this wasn't the most used road out of town and he might have had to wait a couple of hours before someone came along.

"What were you doing out here?" I glanced at him before looking back at the road.

"I was on my way back from a meeting in Lordsburg."

"That sounds fun." My tone was dry. I didn't know what the meeting was for, but if had been something he had enjoyed, he would have shared more about it.

"Any leads on a new job?"

"Not yet." I shrugged. "I'll find something, I'm sure. The question is, how long until I do?"

"If you need something to make ends meet, I can put you to work. It's long hours and muddy as hell, but it's work."

"I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I've got a while before I have to worry, though. I have a good chunk in savings and since I don't have a house payment or rent, it will go a lot farther."

"That's true."

I reminded him that I'd pick him up at eight the next morning as I dropped him off in his driveway. I waited until he made it to the door before turning around and heading home.

Pulling out onto the highway my mind raced ahead. My thoughts were already back at the house. It was only eight thirty, I still had plenty of the evening left. I could settle back onto the sofa, but the thought of a hot bath was even more enticing.

Suddenly, I was drawn back to what I was doing by bright lights directed at my face. I shook my head and barely had time to register the vehicle that was supposed to be in the left lane, it was in mine instead. I had nowhere to go. I couldn't avoid it. The last thought that went through my mind was "How badly is this gonna hurt?" then everything went black.
 
Review:

This story was wonderful! I have always had a thing for friends to lovers stories.

Robin's Nest was written in the first person POV. I read so very few books that are written in the first person, so I am not very used to them.  In my opinion, there was way too much detail to read. At times it was like reading a script for a movie-way too much direction. But, at the same time there was a tiny bit missing too, such as background info about the group of friends they shared. It seems if they were such a tight-knit group there could have been a bit more about them written.

Now, the storyline itself was great. Robin & Sammie had been friends for many years. After a near-fatal accident involving Sammie, they decided to admit their stronger feelings for each other and take the relationship to the next level. The basis of this book, the idea of friends to lovers, and the characters themselves - I loved it! I read Robin's Nest in 1 sitting, I could not put it down! I do recommend you check out this book, I really think you will enjoy it!




 
Author info:

Melissa was born and raised in Arizona, she’s spent her entire life living across the southern half of the state. She’s found that, along with her husband and three children, she prefers the small towns and rural life to feeling packed into a city.
She started reading at a very young age, and her love for series started early, as the first real books she remembers reading is the Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Through the years she’s found that there’s little she won’t read, and her tastes vary from westerns, to romance, to sci-fi / fantasy and Horror.












No comments:

Post a Comment