Sunday, March 31, 2013

Love Sandwiches by Annie Zhu

 
 
Love Sandwiches
by Annie Zhu
 
Synopsis:
A shopgirl volunteers to hand out sandwiches to the homeless, but helping others does not eradicate her self-hatred. After every act of charity, her long-distance boyfriend Paul suffocates her with his unconditional love.
 Between running into a childhood friend who has reinvented herself as a music video vixen, and confronting an unhinged homeless man, her evening snowballs into a night of self-destruction.
 Set in Toronto, Canada, this 6,300-word literary short story is about the nature of giving and receiving love . . . and sandwiches.
 

Author Bio:
 
Annie Zhu was born in Nanjing, China, and moved to Canada at the age of seven. She has a BFA in Film Studies from Ryerson University and a MFA in Creative Writing from the University of British Columbia. She lives in Paris.
 
Websites/social media:
 
Review:
 
After the first time I read this short story, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I was a bit confused as to what I was supposed to get from the story. I went through and reread it. This is not the typical story that I usually read. But, after reading it again, I still came up a bit short in the "what does this mean to me" department. I suppose the author may want us to fill in the blanks ourselves, which is something I can do very well. If this is the case then, ok I get it. If not, then I am still kind of shaking my head. Judge for yourselves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment